[SCA-BMDL] Cookie Baking with the Food Guild!

Ruth Morrisson maistresmyfanwy at icloud.com
Tue Dec 3 11:41:10 EST 2019

Greetings from Myfanwy!
Thanks for the information.  It’s hard to think about stuff like that because I don’t have food allergies (even though Alastar does, plus he has problems with MSG which is technically NOT an allergy — I’ve gotten really good at reading the fine print on labels, because sometimes they hide it behind “spices” and/or “modified food starch”; I haven’t had meatloaf for about 10 years because for the longest time Lipton’s Recipe Secrets started putting it in — and even calling them to complain didn’t change things until just in the past few months).  And I know someone who is allergic to soy!  There was some event up in NY last spring or summer where the head cook had to deal with some huge number of allergies from various attendees, and apparently managed to make enough stuff edible for an entire room full of people with weird allergies.
Years ago I was at an event in Dragonship Haven in the East Kingdom, and the topic of conversation was on peoples’ food allergies and sensititivies — including one woman whose kid got taken out of Great Adventure in an ambulance because the hot dog he’d eaten had been cooked in the same grease as a fried egg….  And another person said she’d had the prick tests done and was allergic to “EVERYTHING — except chocolate….”
Alastar’s former boss’ daughter was on one of the local morning shows a few years ago — her school district did not use peanuts or peanut oil in ANYTHING because her allergy was so bad.  Of course, it helped that her father was president of the school board…. ;-).
And allergies are really weird.  Alastar’s dad used to be allergic to dairy to the point where he had a special coffee cup — the dishwasher apparently didn’t get enough of the milk solids out.  But then his allergies changed, and he could have dairy — but was then allergic to some sort of mold that grows on black pepper (not the pepper itself).  If he had freshly ground pepper, he was okay, but buying ground pepper was out because of all the little places the mold could be….

MaistresMyfanwy at icloud.com