[SCA-BMDL] BMDL Fiber Guild Meeting September 13.

Ruth Morrisson maistresmyfanwy at icloud.com
Tue Sep 13 18:27:22 EDT 2016

Greetings from Myfanwy!
I had really planned to try and make this, but my body decided that I’d done too much today already….
Oh, and to answer the theme, at Pennsic this year I got to take Camilla de Reynarde’s class on doing netting in the round, but haven’t gotten my own frame finished yet.  Mine is a modification of hers — which was designed as a demo for teaching classes, but I wanted one I could actually use to make nets that have more “normal" sized meshes — and added an extra, smaller, beam to actually work from.  It’s a wooden dowel (the rest is completely non-period PVC piping), but I still need to sand the dowel smooth (and take off the splinters on one end).   I also still need to take the time to watch the video she made and re-familiarize myself in how she actually did the half-hitch cast ons.  Supposedly, some Boy Scout troop leader told her an “easier” way to do the sheet bend knots, but nearly 25 years of muscle memory on how I learned how to do netting have taken its toll and I suspect I will continue to do the actual sheet bends the way I initially learned them.  And the “simpler” method didn’t parse at 9 AM in a crowded Pennsic A&S tent when too many of us were sitting on the wrong side of where she was standing and we had trouble seeing what she was doing with her hands.  I suspect the video will help me, since it’s more focussed and close up — and I can pause it as necessary.
Maistres Myfanwy ferch Rhiannon
Ruth Morrisson
MaistresMyfanwy at icloud.com