[SCA-BMDL] Position opening: Baronial Youth Combat Marshal

Karen Kasper ariannawyn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 23:08:34 EDT 2015

I will be stepping down from the position of Youth Combat Marshal for the
Barony-Marche effective the end of December, 2015. I am looking for someone
to take on the office, which involves:
- Running weekly fighter practices on Sunday afternoons
- Organizing baronial youth tournaments as needed
- Training youth fighters
- Working with sparring marshals to enhance kids' combat training
- Maintaining the youth loaner armor and weapons
- Filing quarterly reports and reporting to the Knight Marshal

The Baronial Youth Combat Marshal must:
- Be a paid member of the SCA
- Pass an SCA Background Check
- Have the required Pennsylvania clearances for working with children (info
here:
http://aethelmearcgazette.com/2015/07/15/aethelmearc-youth-background-check-policy-for-pennsylvania/
- Be warranted as a Youth Combat Marshal by the AEthelmearc Kingdom Youth
Combat Marshal. This involves a training period which can take some time to
complete, and requires regular attendance at practices and
tournaments to gain experience under an already-warranted marshal. I am
happy to assist in this training for any interested parties.

It has been my pleasure to serve the Barony-Marche as Youth Combat Marshal
for the past five years, during which time numerous fine young people have
had the opportunity to learn not only how to fight, but also to be
chivalrous on and off the field and provide service to their Barony. I am
thankful to those who have assisted me in that office over the years, most
especially Lady Ceindrech verch Elidir who continues to attend practices
and marshal alongside me; Mistress Jenna of Lion's Tower, Mistress Zoe
Akropolitina, and Sir Thorgrim Skullsplitter for their assistance and
support; and all of the other marshals, parents, and fighters who have made
the job easier and more fun. I would also like to thank the sparring
marshals of the barony who have taught both the kids and me how to use
proper fighting techniques and face an opponent with humor and  chivalry as
well as prowess. In particular, Count Isenwulf Thorolfssone, THLord Jussi
Laplein, and Lord Robert Pour Maintenant have worked with the kids at
almost every practice they attended, giving up time fighting adults in
order to help the youth fighters. Finally, I would like to thank my son,
Lord Robert MacEwin of Thornhill, who frequently helped out with building,
maintaining, and hauling loaner equipment as well as training younger
fighters. Thank you so much!

Please send letters of interest to me at ariannawyn at gmail.com, and to
the Knight Marshal at knightmarshal at debatablelands.org. Deadline is the
December 2, 2015 officers' meeting.