[SCA-BMDL] Bardic competition at 12th Night!

Kathryn Kane kathrynkane at mac.com
Wed Jan 2 12:11:39 EST 2013

All you singers of songs and tellers of tales, all you who play the lute or pipe, you are all invited to compete to be this year’s Baronial Bardic Champion at the Barony's 12th Night Celebration. We seek a champion who does not yet have their Laurel, so that we can recognize and support the works of the populace. The champion chosen will go forth to carry the honor of the Barony to the Seven Pearls Bardic Competition during Pennsic XLI. Prepare one or two pieces, of no more than 5 minutes duration in total, which shall be judged by the Baron and Baroness.

Our current Bardic Champion the Lady Bugga will host this fine event, opening with a recapitulation of her performance piece from this year’s Seven Pearls Competition, and also a duet with Master William de Montegilt. In order that our bodies be warm for our singing we shall then all sing together in Latin the drinking song of old, Bacce Bene Venies. Please join us one and all, competitors and audience members, as we join our voices in song! The performance and competition will happen at the third hour of the afternoon, upstairs in the Great Hall.

As a reminder, the chorus of the above mentioned song, taught to the populace at the A&S themed Barony meeting this past year (though one need not have been present there to sing along on this occasion):

Istud vinum, bonum vinum,
vinum generosum,
reddit virum curialem,
probum, animosum.