[SCA-BMDL] Something Vaguely Scottish This Way Comes!

Barbara Castellion alayne76 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 09:03:01 EDT 2012

Greetings to the Great Kingdom of Æthelmearc! In my most recent travels
through the Shire of Gryffyn’s Keep I have heard a stirring. I have heard
that Something Vaguely Scottish This Way Comes! Come join Gryffyn’s Keep
for a Highland Games on October 20th, 2012 to determine who has the
strength, the prowess, and the Ugliest Kilt!

Scottish games for one and all, young and old will start at 11AM. Join us
as we toss cabers, compete in blind sheep herding, throw rocks and of
course compete in tug-of-war and (Highland) sumo wrestling! After all the
activities, we naturally will be starving and so we will provide a
wonderful Scottish Feast. This event will be going on, rain or shine.  We
have back-up indoor games in the event of bad weather.

There will be a Period Cooking Contest for the lunch sideboard
(documentation preferred but not required.) Cook us your best period dish
(it doesn’t even have to be Scottish!): it will be sampled by the populace
who will vote for their favorite! Those not inclined to compete in the
contest, we ask to bring a covered dish to share.

The site fee for off board adults $9.00 (includes lunch), on board adult:
$16. Kids 6-12 offboard: $5.00, kids 6-12 onboard: $8.00 and kids 5 and
under will be free. The non-member fee of $5.00 will be collected at the
door. Feast is limited to 40 persons, so be sure to get your reservations
to Lady Esa Baird (Robin Smittle Butts) 4655 Marjorie Drive Murrysville PA
15668 as soon as possible! Make checks payable to SCA, inc - Shire of
Gryffyn's Keep.

And discounts? Of course we have discounts! $1.00 off entry fee for wearing
a kilt!

The site opens at 10:00AM and closes at 9:00 PM.

Location:  Union Presbyterian Church, 656 Rt 380, Murrysville, PA 15668
The site is dry.

Lady Freya Ramsey and Lord Deryk Archer will be preparing us many lovely
dishes for the evening repast. Please make all dietary concerns known to
Freya Ramsey (HLPollins at verizon.net).

For the schedule, games list, and feast menu, please visit the website at
http://gryffynskeep.org/Events.html.

Directions:

South and Pittsburgh area:
Take your best route to I-376 East (Parkway) to the end and bear left onto
Rt 22E towards Murrysville.
♦ Go through 3 stop lights and bear right onto Rt 286E, (Golden Mile
Highway, Holiday Park). Proceed through 8 stop lights and after the last
light at the Dairy Queen go straight under the underpass on Rt 380E. From
here the church is approximately 2 miles on your right

North:
I-79 to Pa Turnpike east to the Monroeville-Pittsburgh exit after the toll
booth, bear right onto Rt 22E towards Murrysville. Follow directions from ♦.

East:
Take either Rt 22 or Rt 30 W to Rt 66 N through Delmont, go approximately 7
mi to a flashing yellow light and turn left onto Rt 366W towards New
Kensington. Go approximately 4 miles to interchange with RT 380. Turn left
through medial and bear right onto Rt 380E, church will be approximately
1.5 mi on your right.