[SCA-BMDL] Sailing into history

Noah Ternullo noah at ternullo.name
Tue Oct 2 18:51:41 EDT 2012

Howdy all!
    A little while ago Brandubh mentioned that the Nina and the Pinta
are docked on the south side.  If you haven't been down there yet, go.
These two period replica ships are not only fun to visit (they sail away
on the 4th BTW), but they are also *looking for **crew.*  That's
correct, if you are the kind of person who would like to spend several
weeks to several months crewing one of these replica ships as they go
from port to port they are in need and taking volunteers.  Optimum crew
assignments are 7 per ship, but they currently only have 5 people for
*both* ships.  Volunteering on these ships come with free
accommodations, and I believe that includes food.  You get to live on
board during your time, learn about the ships, educate the public as
they come through, and oh yea, actually sale historically accurate ships
for real.   After talking with one crew member at length, his
experiences reminded me very much of Pennsic.

    I would love to do this, but I can't.  Obviously this is not for
everyone.  You pretty much have to love history, and be able to spend
some time away from any local obligations you may have.  I /strongly
encourage/ those folks that are interested (seriously or not) to high
tail it down to the north side and talk with the crew.    They are very
personable folks who love what they do.  To me this sounds like a
fantastic opportunity to learn about history and sailing.

Sincerely,

Noah Ternullo
(Angus MacDougal)