[SCA-BMDL] BMDL Youth Combat Practice at the CASTLE this Sunday

Karen Kasper arianna_wyn at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 14:17:23 EST 2012

Greetings to all Youth Fighters and their parents!

This Sunday is the annual Harvest Revel Barony Meeting and martial practice at Byron and Ariella's castle, 755 Stonegate Dr, Wexford, PA 15090 (see here for map: http://tinyurl.com/boaq46s) Please park diagonally on the west side of the road like we do for events there. Archery and thrown weapons begin at 11am as usual, with Youth Combat at its normal time of 2pm. The meeting will also feature a PIE contest, a canned goods collection for the local food pantry by Baroness Constance, the traditional Pumpkin Toss from the parapets, and a performance by the Debatable Choir! I will have the usual youth combat loaner gear, and the weather is looking good. I'm hoping we can fight across the bridge and on the driveway as we did last year.

The Baronial Youth Champion tourney at Agincourt on Saturday was one of the finest tournaments I have ever had the pleasure to witness. Eight competitors fought with skill, enthusiasm, camaraderie, and immense chivalry. Everyone agreed that the new Roman short spears were a great addition to the tournament, so expect to see them at practices going forward.

Thanks so much to Lady Katherine Sinclair for figuring out our complicated list and running it so efficiently, and to Lady Elizabeth Arrowsmyth for assisting her. Thanks also to Tiberius for coming up with such a fun and interesting tourney format and for crafting the tokens and wooden sword given to the victor, to Lord Robert for building the spears and daggers we needed for it, to Sir Thorgrim for assistance with marshaling, and to Their Excellencies, Baron Liam and Baroness Constance, for braving the cold to watch the fighting and give out reprieve tokens returning fighters' lost limbs to them.

Congratulations to Kenneth for winning the tournament and to Eiiden for being named alternate, and to Guion for receiving the mantle of Champion when Kenneth announced that he felt Guion deserved it more than he. Congratulations also go to El Tigre, who was chosen Most Chivalrous fighter of the day (among many, many chivalrous fighters!) and also authorized up from Division 1 to Division 2.

Finally, congratulations to two of our youth fighters who were recognized by Their Majesties: Guion ab Wilim, who received a Silver Alce for his skill in youth combat, and Lord Robert MacEwin of Thornhill, who was inducted into the Order of the Golden Alce in recognition of his skill in youth combat *and* his achieving the rank of Junior Grand Master Bowman.

I am so very proud of you all!

YOUTH COMBAT PRACTICE SCHEDULE

Nov. 11 - practice at Harvest Revel Barony meeting, at Byron & Ariella's castle in Wexford
Nov. 18 - practice moves indoors for the winter, to the Pittsburgh Chinese Church in the North Hills
Nov. 25 - NO PRACTICE, Thanksgiving weekend
Dec. 2 - practice at the Pittsburgh Chinese Church in the North Hills
Dec. 9 - practice at the Pittsburgh Chinese Church in the North Hills
Dec. 16 - practice at the Pittsburgh Chinese Church in the North Hills

Arianna