[SCA-BMDL] Further travel alert (Re: Barony Meeting Sunday)

Erin Kelly tupan4 at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 10:05:37 EDT 2012

Not to scare you, but if you haven't tried to drive around the East
End on marathon Sunday before, you really should do some research to
avoid potential rage. Hilda included the link to the marathon map -
you should just plan to skirt around the course entirely.

The marathon course will close major arteries in Oakland, Shadyside,
Bloomfield, Point Breeze, East Liberty, and Highland Park. (There are
also closures downtown and on the North Side and South Side.) You
likely can't get in or out of the course's loop unless you can get to
a highway entrance. (Not 100% sure whether cars can cross the course
or not; I've seen it in the past - decades ago - but haven't tried it
in recent years.)

I believe that it will be impossible to get through Point Breeze
between Squirrel Hill/Regent Square and Homewood/East Liberty to
Washington Boulevard because the course extends east to N. Braddock
Ave. (This is my typical route; I'm guessing I'll have to head out to
Wilkinsburg and down to Allegheny River Boulevard or Rt 130 instead.)

If you live inside the course you might want to load your car and park
it outside the loop before they close the roads.

Best bet is to approach the practice site from the north. All of the
roads along the river near the Highland Park Bridge, including Butler
St., are unaffected.

Here's to minimizing rage!

ERIN

P.S. more travel advice: