[SCA-BMDL] 18% Q & A

Krista Cogan hildasca at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 7 00:40:47 EST 2012

Greetings! I've had some questions regarding the SCA's settlement of the lawsuit, and the Barony's role in sending funds. Normally, when issues come up, I answer questions individually and let that stand. However, in this case, I believe many of you may have the same questions, and so I'm posting some of the questions and answers here. (Hopefully it formats well for you.) Please do continue to ask.

In Gravitate et Caritate,
~Hilda, Seneschale

Will the Barony be paying toward the settlement?
Yes. We will
 be paying 18% of our 2010 End of Year bank account balance. We will be
sending the Kingdom a check in the amount of $1,890.06 this week. This amount does not present a particular hardship to the Barony.

Why are our local funds being used for the settlement?
To be blunt, all local, Kingdom, and Great War funds  and assets in North America belong to the SCA, Inc. All of them, including the Barony's funds.  We
 are all SCA, with the Board of Directors acting as the governing body
of the Corporation. To
date, the Corporate Office has been spending out of the Corporate
account for various lawsuits, for years. However, this particular
settlement is too much for their coffers, and Corporate can't afford it
without accessing local funds. They've asked for 18% gently, transparently, and in a
way that they hope is the least disruptive to the SCA as a whole. But
the bottom line is that, as I said, we are all SCA, and the entire SCA
is liable for the settlement.  The Board could just take; they chose to ask.

Did the Officers of the Barony know about this ahead of time?
We didn't
know of the timing or details or even if it would for sure happen, but
yes. We found out specifically about the 18% request when our Kingdom
Seneschale emailed the Kingdom list, at the same time as most of you. However,
we have had indications for several years that we may have needed to pay
 out money from our local account to cover expenses stemming from this
lawsuit.

The Barony's Officers' Meetings are always open to the public,
and we actively encourage any interested gentle to apply for
Officership, or to be a Deputy Officer. There are many Offices that are
coming to the end of a term this year. More information about end of
terms can be found in the Althing: http://www.debatablelands.org/althing/. Let me or another Officer know if you have questions or are interested.

Will the Barony be paying more than the requested 18%?
There are
not current plans to do so, no. There are those in our Barony that are
inclined request that more of our funds be sent to Kingdom. There are
also those in our Barony that are opposed to the payment. Out of respect
 for both opinions, the Barony is currently planning on sending only the
 requested amount. If the Officers receive feedback that there is
significant support in favor of sending more, we can revisit the issue.

What else is the Barony doing at a local level?
We've reached out to our neighboring Shires to inquire whether they need any help to meet their obligations, as we may be in a position to do so.

Can I make an extra donation?
Yes. A
donation to the Barony would be very much appreciated. However, please
understand that our Barony will remain financially solvent without any
donations, and we are not requesting any donations or fundraisers for
this matter at this time.

We've
already received an anonymous donation in the amount of 10% of our
obligation, as well as other donations, to help offset the cost to the Barony. These donors understand that the Barony is not in great
fiscal need, but they wished to show their support and love of the
Barony in this particular way. The Officers of the Barony
wish to thank these gentles greatly for their generosity.

If you are
inclined, you could also make a donation directly to the Kingdom. See
the Aethelmearc list, or email me, for more details.

Will the Barony get our money back if the insurance companies pay up?
We will
likely get part, but not all, of our money back in that case. However,
we are not counting on it. Also, please understand that any personal
donations made to the Barony or other SCA account cannot be returned to
you personally. (Doesn't mean we can't throw a party, though, or buy
needed items for the Barony.)

Are the Kingdom Herald and Aestel bank accounts requested to pay 18%?
Yes, they are.

What was the original lawsuit about anyway?
Benjamin
Schragger was a former Kingdom Dean of Pages (a children's' activity) in
 the Eastrealm who was charged with, and plead guilty to, some very
unpleasant charges in a criminal case.  His
membership permanently revoked. Later, the plaintiffs in that case brought a
civil suit against the SCA, Inc. Some information about the case and why the
 SCA, Inc is settling can be found on Corporate's FAQs (http://www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/settlement.html).  I'm not going to discuss further details here, but no one will stop you from searching the internet to find out more.

Will the settlement affect our ability to rent public parks or schools?
To the best
of our knowledge, no. Any site can refuse to rent to us for any reason.
However, it's my current understanding that there is language in the
settlement  includes the fact that the SCA does
not accept culpability or responsibility for the actions of Ben
Schragger, and that the only reason for the settlement is to prevent
incurring further ruinous legal fees. This is currently being verified
through Kingdom.

What is the SCA doing to prevent this kind of lawsuit in the future?
Again, this is addressed in the Corporate FAQs (http://www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/settlement.html).
 In short, we now have criminal background checks in place for Youth
Officers, and a "Two-Deep Rule" for Youth Activities. However, I would
ask that all of you, locally, please abide by all Youth rules to the
letter. If you have questions about that, let me know. Also, in our
Barony, I know there are some "unofficial" medieval-ish activities for
adults, held by SCA members. Do not begin to hold "unofficial"
children's activities related to the SCA, for your own protection. Such activities
are not and will not be sanctioned by the Barony in any way, tacit or
otherwise.

How can I make my opinion known?
Depending on the specifics,
 you may either contact me, the Debatable Lands' Seneschale
(seneschal at debatablelands.org, or at 412-606-6258), or the Kingdom
Seneschale, Mistress Cori (ae.seneschal at aethelmearc.org). Mistress Cori is collecting questions from the people of the Kingdom to ask our Ombudsman. Or
you  may contact him directly: Aethelmearc's Society Ombudsman is  Mark Faulcon (Duke Martin Lochner ): 407-826-1492 or email at mfaulcon at director.sca.org.