[SCA-BMDL] Sewing Circles and quilt instructions

Cara & Char caram at pitt.edu
Wed Feb 3 12:44:27 EST 2010

Greetings Good Gentles!  A few weeks ago, shortly after we lost Baroness
Tatyana, we began planning two sewing circles in her honor.  The first will be
Saturday February 13th starting at 2pm and ending approximately 6-7pm at our
house.  The second will be Saturday March 13th, also starting at 2pm.  All are
welcome, whether you knew Her Excellency or not and whether you can sew or not!
  We will be working on a quilt for her daughter Sarah and a Kingdom Regalia
project in her honor, but please bring anything else you wish to do.  We feel
gathering together to enjoy each other's company and do or learn handwork is a
good way to honor Baroness Tatyana.  If you are coming from a distance, crash
space can be arranged.  We will provide snacks and drinks and see if people are
interested in dinner toward the end.
Fruthikona Hrefna has created the instructions for a quilt square (please see
flyer text below) - pass them on to anyone or any lists you think would be
interested.
One related note: The address that Nick Tujague sent us for the Sarah Tujague
Educational Trust was missing a zip code digit.  The correct address is:
The Sarah Yvette Tujague Educational Trust
Carolina First Bank
535 Greenville Highway
Hendersonville, NC 28739
Please contact me with any questions or suggestions,
Ariella
724 933 4661 or caram at pitt.edu

Memorial Quilt for Baroness Tatyana the Kushka
Earlier this month, a little girl lost her mother. As years pass, Sarah
may not remember much about the vibrant soul that was Tatyana.
We, her mother.s friends, can teach Sarah a little about the woman who
brought so much to this barony. To do so, we are making Sarah a
quilt. We hope that the quilt will remind Sarah of her mother and will let
her know that Tatyana was loved andrespected by many. You can participate
by making a quilt square according to the following criteria:

   . Use medium weight fabric (similar to the cotton quilting calicoes at
     Jo-Ann Fabrics).
   . Make the quilt square 6 of each side of the square. Use a
     inch seam allowance. If any decoration extends into the seam
     allowance, we.ll assume you meant to do that and that you know it won.t
show on the quilt.
   . Decorate the square any way you want: piecework, applique, embroidery,
paint, etc.
   . Commemorate Tatyana in the decoration. You may chose anything about
Tatyana: her personality,
     one of her SCA adventures, or something from her modern life that you
think
     little Sarah might like toknow.
   . Make the decoration machine-washable. Remember this is going to a small
child,
     so frequent washing is a certainty.
   . Write up an explanation of how your square commemorates Tatyana.
   . Leave you name and contact information, so that volunteers can track who
is making each square.
   . Complete your square and return it to Baroness Ariella of the Debatable
Lands by March 31, 2010.

The squares will be sewn together in April. They will be attached to the
quilt.s batting and back by either ties or quilting. Please keep in mind
that the ties or quilting will overlay any design on your square. This
is unavoidable.

At BMDL Twelfth Night, volunteers are handing out base squares to
decorate. A variety of supplies are available to help you decorate your
square including embroidery floss and fabric Tatyana used in her clothes
and  banners. You may also leave a written memory or explanation of your
square for a book that will accompany the quilt. A second copy of the
book will be given to Tatyana.s parents. We intend to include pictures
of each block in the book. Ask the volunteers at the 12th Night table
for information or assistance with quilt square construction. Gentles
who cannot create a square may leave stories about Tatyana for the quilt
book. Not sure how to decorate a quilt square? The most common types of
quilt decoration are piecework, applique, and quilting. Piecework is
small pieces of fabric sewn together to create a design. Applique is
layers of fabric sewn on top of each other. Quilting refers to the
running stitch that connects the front of the quilt  to its batting and
back. It can be sewn in simple or complex designs during the quilting
phase of the quilt.s construction. The earliest historical quilts were
decorated only with quilting. Patchwork quilts were used as wall hanging
in Renaissance Italy. There are several newer historical styles that are
popular today such as the floral Baltimore Album quilts, symmetric
Hawaiian quilts, and chaotic Crazy quilts. Modern day quilts can
incorporate one or all of these techniques. All types of decoration
including embroidery and fabric paints can also be used Tatyana.s
memorial quilt.

Baroness Ariella of the Debatable Lands will also be hosting sewing
circles on February 13 and March 13 to decorate squares and work on
related projects.

Remember, your square must be turned into Baroness Ariella by March
31. You can do this in person or mail the square to
Dr. Cara McCandless
755 Stonegate Road
Wexford PA 15090.