[SCA-BMDL] medieval flower bulbs

myfanwy at nauticom.net myfanwy at nauticom.net
Tue Jul 21 11:00:40 EDT 2009

Greetings from Myfanwy!
Shortly after Pennsic I'm going to be putting in orders for various flower
bulbs.  These will be for varieties that date back pre-1600, for the most
part, including saffron crocus, lemon lilies [daylilies that date to the
late 1500s], and several varieties of period daffodils, including one that
is dated to the 1200s (!).
Other period spring-flowering bulbs are Spanish bluebells, Madonna lilies,
several types of fritallaria (including checkered lilies and Crown
Imperials), leucojum, and some hyacinths.  I believe that there are
possibly also period varieties of tulips (specifically some of the species
tulips), but I'm not specifically looking to buy any of these this year --
and regular tulips tend to become deer, rabbit, or groundhog fodder in my
yard. :-(
Buying in bulk tends to bring down the cost per bulb, so if anyone in the
barony is interested in splitting an order, please let me know.  I have
several different specialty bulb catalogs.  Additionally, there other
online sources, but I have not dealt with any of them before -- in
particular the source for the 1200 CE daffodils, but I'm willing to take a
chance on them, (although that would be a limited order of 25 bulbs total
due to their own ability to provide large amounts).
I'm also considering buying some other varieties of heirloom (but not
necessarily period bulbs) since my house dates to around 1885; for
example, I've previously planted 'Thalia' narcissus bulbs, which date to
around 1916 and 'Hyperion' daylilies, which date to around 1911.
If anyone has any questions or would like to put in an order, contact me
privately, or see me at Pennsic (I'm in the camp called "Bear" and also
spend a lot of time in the artists' tent at Heralds' Point).
Unfortunately, I probably don't have time to put together price lists this
week; I may have to make some runs back home during Pennsic, especially
the first week, so I could bring up some catalogs if people would like to
look through them.
Lady Myfanwy ferch Rhiannon
Ruth Morrisson
myfanwy at nauticom.net
PS -- I also have a couple of catalogs from places that sell heirloom and
species roses!