[SCA-BMDL] A&S Guest Speakers

Cindy Speer gabbywinter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 09:33:02 EST 2009

Hello!

I apologize for cross posting, and beg you to forward this on to anyone
interested.

We have a group of students at California University of Pennsylvania who are
very interested in learning about the different arts and sciences practiced
in the SCA.  To help advance this interest we are asking members of the
Society with experience in these various arts to appear at a guest lecture
series we are having here on campus, in the Old Main Chapel, at 7:00 pm.
The first will be March 10, with Master Creador TwyneDragon lecturing on An
Introduction to Calligraphy and Illumination.

If you are interested in speaking to the students, please contact me.  The
series is open to all who wish to attend, and I will keep the list updated
so that even if you don't wish to speak, you are more than welcome to attend
any lecture.

There are several lots to park in, park where you can, and head for the
building with the clock tower.  Old Main, or the clock tower building, is on
your left when you enter campus.  The chapel is at the top of the stairs,
and is wheelchair accessible, but there is no elevator. Directions to Cal
are below.

In Service,

Gabrielle Winter
MKA Cindy Speer
Email:  gabbywinter at gmail.com
Work number:  724-938-4054

*Directions to Cal:*

The address for Cal U, for those who want to use Rand McNally dot come or
GPS:

California University of Pennsylvania
250 University Avenue, California, PA 15419

>From Pittsburgh (North):
(I'm taking you through a rather expensive toll gate....65 cents depending
where you get on, .95 cents to get off...but it really is the fastest and
easiest way.)
 Take your best route to 43.  (From Pittsburgh, this is usually Route 51).
Drive until you reach the final tollgate...California.  Pay the toll
and keep going, keeping in mind that the far right lane will take you
somewhere you don't want to go.  Look for the CALIFORNIA exit.  The exit
turns you to the right and leads you up to a small highway, you want to
go RIGHT.  Now drive over a bridge/overpass, keep going straight over a hill
and back down, until you are at a red light, a Kwick Fill will be on your
left, a Rite Aide ahead and on your right.  Turn RIGHT at the red light, and
head towards the twin towers that flank the road leading into the
university.

>From Morgantown/South
Take North 119.  Take the exit onto US-119 N/US-40 W for almost three miles,
then take the Main Street/US-40 W exit.  You should be at a red light, turn
left, past Mt. St. Macrina, which should be on your right, and the Uniontown
Mall, which is on a hillside to your left.  Keep on 40...because of the 43
construction there will be a point where the road is closed...follow the
detour (they still call it 40), you'll be on a new highway.  It will lead up
to another red light, go straight.  You'll be lead through a town, keep
going straight, over a high level bridge.  Look for California signs.  You
will merge on 43, but don't worry, it's not the toll portion.  Take the
California exit....turn right over a hill and back down, until you are at a
red light, a Kwick Fill will be on your left, a Rite Aide ahead and on your
right.  Turn RIGHT at the red light, and head towards the twin towers
that flank the road leading into the university.

>From the East or West
(I'm taking you through a rather expensive toll gate that will cost .95
cents to go through, but it really is the fastest and easiest way.)
Take your best route to 70.  If you are from the east, you will need to take
70 West, and from the West, you'll take 70 East.  Continue until you see the
California exit.  You will be taken through a toll gate, pay the toll