[SCA-BMDL] spring bulb order info

Ruth Morrisson myfanwy at nauticom.net
Tue Aug 25 01:05:17 EDT 2009

Greetings from Myfanwy!
For those who have previously contacted me, I haven't forgotten!  (It's
just that I'm still recovering from post-Pennsic laundry, plus yet
another drive to Warren, PA and back.)
For those who haven't, but might still be interested, I have been
putting together a spreadsheet of various (mostly) pre-1600 era bulbs,
with prices from several different catalogs/websites.  I will be
sending the list out as a .pdf file to those who have already expressed
an interest sometime tomorrow -- well, I guess since it's after
midnight, actually today! :-)
Due to current finances (the school tax bill first installment and
impending furnace replacement) I'm not actually ordering too much for
myself, but the spreadsheet is for others to see what's available (and
from where and for how much).  I *will* be ordering Lent Lilies
(Narcissus pseudonarcissus) -- the maximum order is only 25 because the
only place I've found them has a limited supply -- and at least 25
saffron crocus corms, regardless of who else wants them, and will
happily add other items for other people.
I tried to be as thorough as possible with what's readily available,
and as accurate as possible with typing in the prices (I was working
with several different catalogs,  at least one of which seeming to have
a greater range of prices and amounts online from their print catalog).
  In addition, I've included one company on the list that I am *not*
ordering from this year (I've had no problems with past orders, and
they have some things no-one else had, but their online customer
service was snotty about the saffron when I had a question about
planting, so I'm currently boycotting them --YMMV, but I can say
somewhat smugly that I found better prices on the saffron corms
elsewhere); I'm also keeping my fingers crossed about another one that
I've never actually dealt with (they're expensive, but again have some
unique items, like the N. pseudonarcissus).
I need to get orders in ASAP (preferably by the end of the week),
especially for the saffron (which might have a separate shipping
charge, because they will probably be shipped in September, and need to
be planted as early as possible).  My plan is  to get the ordering done
online for the most part, to save time, and am hoping to get that done
by the end of the week; some really interesting sounding -- although
frightfully expensive(!) --  bulbs are already sold out, like a tulip
variety from the mid-1600s.
Lady Myfanwy ferch Rhiannon
Ruth Morrisson
myfanwy at nauticom.net
PS -- I have not figured out shipping charges yet for any of the
companies, and it's nearly 1 AM, so that is happening after I wake up!
:-)    I also will try to note which bulbs appear to not be deer food,
but since I haven't grown a lot of these myself I will have to rely on
what the catalogs say; I know that critters seem to leave my daffodils,
fritallaria meleagris, crocuses, hyacinthoides and leucojum alone, but
the only tulips I tried that didn't get eaten are a small (non-period)
species variety of tulips called T. tarda (which are currently not on
the spreadsheet -- I already have about 60 different varieties of bulbs
listed).