[SCA-BMDL] Medieval New Years celebrations et al

Cheryl Brasch Ageless Fashions cbrasch475 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 17:10:31 EST 2008

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/newyearhistory.html

Based on the link above the New Years celebration was abolished as being pagan by the Council of Tours.

http://www.newyorkcarver.com/feastoffools.htm

The link above shows it was celebrated as a Feast of Fools. For those of you who remember the Disney "Hunchback of Notre Dame", that was the celebration in question.

Those Wacky Philadelphians still celebrate it with the Mummers Parade. A real life medieval tradition, right here in our own home state.

That second link says that the wanton debauchery and chaos included but was not limited to gambling on the church altar, cross dressing, etc. Gives me some ideas for our own New Years party.

Y'all are invited, of course. Its a housewarming/New Years party. We are having a theme of "clear drinks" to celebrate the new carpet. All the vodka, 7-up, lite rum, chablis, champgne you can drink! There will be food. There will be movies and games n' stuff. Culminating in a traditional winter bonfire of all of the scrap from the completed construction.

Cheryl Jameson

www.agelessfashions.com
www.myspace.com/agelessfashions
724.328.2506
412.262.1933
394 Moon-Clinton Rd.
Moon Twp, Pa 15108

Please feel free to check out the new myspace page!

"I believe in monsters and things that go bump in the night. May they rot in hell along with their attourneys" - Jamie Ross, Law and Order