[SCA-BMDL] BMDL Patterns

Raven hraefnn at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 10:08:16 EDT 2008

Hi Elss,

If the banner is for your own personal use, you want to use what is called the populace badge,  which is a white comet with its head on your left inside of a yellow block border on a black background.  In heraldic speech, the badge is "Sable, a comet fesswise argent, a bordure embattled Or."

If you are making the banner for the barony to use or for the baron or baroness, then you want to use the group's arms.  There is a picture in the upper left corner of this web page: http://debatablelands.org/.

Visiually, the difference between the two is the laurel wreath but the meaning is much more. The badge says "I belong to or am a member of the Barony-Marche".  The arms declare "I am the Barony-Marche" or "I am the baroness\baron of the Debatable Lands."

Your banner can be any shape: round, square, rectangular, or heater (i.e. shield shaped.)  Just make the border fit the shape of the banner.

Raven

And this above all to thine own self be true.
                                - Shakespeare, "Hamlet"