[SCA-BMDL] Semi-OT: Pennsic storm question

Michael B. Greenstein greenstein at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 23 16:16:15 EDT 2008

> The question is this: What's the best way to leave up the tent when I
> won't be there overnight?  Should we leave a few heavy things in it, undo
> the poles and let it more-or-less be collapsed, but for where it's staked
> down?

Leave it fully set up and well-staked.  Heavy things in it are a plus.
Leaving it partly collapsed sounds like a bad idea.  Even the most
rain-resistant tent is porous; they work by *shedding* rain, and not by
being impermeable (which is how you don't suffocate when you're inside).
Leave a partly-collapsed tent in the rain, and odds are strong that water
will puddle somewhere on it and either run or drip inside.

- Michael