[SCA-BMDL] Carnevale in Venice - Feb 9, updates and corrected directions

Ben Cogan donnghaile at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 12:50:24 EST 2008

Carnivale February 9, AS xlii (2008) Come help the Barony-Marche of the
Debatable Lands celebrate the festival of Carnivale in the high Venetian
style. The day will feature quests, games, music, merriment and dance
culminating in a grand masked ball in the evening. All this for our guest of
honor Signora Tomasia da Collivento as she sits vigil to contemplate
elevation to the most noble Order of the Laurel. This revelry will be held
at the Lodge at North Park of Allegheny County, (no street #) North Ridge
Rd, Allison Park, PA 15101. The site will open at 9 am and close at 10 pm.
This is a wet site, libations are welcome.

The day will additionally feature an outdoor tournament at the request of
His Royal Majesty, hearkening back to the days of his youth in the SCA, when
fighting happened outside no matter the weather.  The fencers have also put
together a tournament which will challenge not only skill with a blade, but
also challenge the mind of the fencer and knowledge of the sport.  Not to be
outdone Lord Edmundo da Monreale has put together a Carnevale quest filled
with hearkening to the traditions of Carnevale as it was celebrated in
Venice in days of yore.  I Genesii may even appear to entertain us all and
quickly vanish before the authorities are able to capture them.   As music
and dance were a large part of the festivities, there will be a grand masked
ball in the evening after feast, and classes during the afternoon to remind
your feet which way to go.  If you wish to teach a music or dance
class please contact the autocrat, Brandubh.

Unfortunately *there will be no Archery or Thrown Weapons* at this event as
it does run contrary to the County Parks' weapons policies.

Event Schedule:

9 Site opens

10 Heavy and Fencing lists open

10:30 Royal Court

11:30 Rattan tourney starts

12 Lunch* *

**

**

3 Troll closes

4 Royal Court

5:30 Feast

7 Choir and Consort  performance followed by* *Ball

10 Site closes

The autocrat for this event is Brandubh Ó Donnghaile (Ben Cogan) 3815
Baytree St , Pittsburgh, PA 15214; Phone: 412-606-6367; Email:
donnghaile(at)gmail.com. The event will feature an Italian Lunch and Feast
prepared by Dame Margaret Makafee (Gretchen Beck grm(at)andrew.cmu.edu ).

*FEAST IS SOLD OUT!  OFFBOARD SPACE IS STILL AVAILABLE, AND YOU CAN STILL
GET ON THE WAITING LIST. *  There will be directions to local restaurants
available at troll.

*Fees will be as follows:* Onboard (Lunch and Feast) $14, Offboard (Lunch
only) $8, children 6-12 are half priced, 5 and under are free. Onboard space
will be limited to 80 seats.

Send reservations to Hildarun Hügelmann (Krista Cogan) 3815 Baytree St,
Pittsburgh , PA 15214; Phone: 412-606-6258. Please make checks payable to
SCA, Inc – BMDL. Only paid reservations will be accepted. Reservations must
be received by February 2, 2007. Troll will close at 3pm. After 3pm , feast
spaces that are paid for but not claimed that day will be sold to those on
the waiting list. If you are planning to arrive after 3pm , please let the
reservationist know ahead of time. Refunds requested on or after the day of
the event will be considered but not guaranteed.
Directions to site Pearce Mill Rd , Allison Park, PA 15101 From the North:

>From I-79 Southbound, take exit 73 Wexford PA-910. At the end of the exit,
turn left onto PA 910, the orange belt. *Go 4.1 miles and turn right onto
Pearce Mill Rd , go .8 miles, and turn left onto North Ridge Rd, the parking
lot for the Lodge will be on the left in approximately .9 miles.
>From the South:

>From I-79 Northbound, take exit 73, and turn right onto PA 910, orange belt,
and follow from * above.
>From the East:

Take I-76, Toll Road, PA turnpike to exit 39, PA 8 South. Travel 1.4 miles
on PA 8 S, then turn right at Wildwood Road, Yellow Belt. Go 2.9 miles, then
turn right on Babcock Blvd, go 0.2 miles and go left on Pearce Mill Rd, go
1.9 miles and turn right onto North Ridge Dr after the Ice Rink. The road
twists and turns and after .9 miles turn into the parking lot for the Lodge
on your left.
>From Pittsburgh:

Take I-279 North from the City to exit 11 for MicKnight Rd. Travel 6.5 miles
north on McKnight, and take the first right exit for E Ingomar Rd/Yellow
Belt. After 2.2 miles turn left onto Babcock Blvd at the light. After
0.2miles turn left onto Pierce Mill Rd, go