[SCA-BMDL] Crusader Battle at Pennsic

Shawn MacIntyre medicmacintyre15219 at yahoo.com
Tue May 29 09:40:33 EDT 2007

I thought this might interest many of you

>From the Gleann Abhann (tribe.net) list:

"Greetings my Brothers and Sisters in arms.

Please heed this call and take note as you will. In
the tradition of the "battle of thirty" held at
Pennsic comes now a separate scenario: A crusader
battle. A true competition between the Soldiers of
Christ and The Warriors of Islam (for fun, of course).
Being fully aware of the current geopolitical
situation, we humbly request that all mundane
considerations be put aside for the sake of this
battle. This is Not a battle of religion, this is Not
a battle of Ideology, but instead, this is a battle of
History, and is meant to exemplify what we try to do
within the SCA. The goal of this scenario is to be as
accurate as possible in both appearance, tactics, and
weapons of the first three crusades (Barring of course
calvary and horse archers (thank God/Allah)).

His Majesty of the Middle, Sir Dag Thorgrimsson, will
represent the English King Richard, and my humble
self, Sir Rodrigo Vargas de Leon will represent the
Muslim commander, Sal -al -din.

Therefore, with the above in mind:

Salaam alaikum brothers and sisters of the faith; in
the name of Allah the beneficent, the merciful, do I
Sir Rodrigo Vargas De`Leon ibn Chen Tzu ibn Palymar of
the Two Baronies, Ibn Moonwulf Starkaaderson, ibn
dirt, send greetings.

May the blessings of Allah be bestowed upon you. The
horns of war echo in the distance giving theme to the
uneasy truce that exists between the English king and
the faithful of Allah, blessed is his name.

Heed now the words of Allah the Merciful:

"Make ready for them all thou canst of armed force and
of horses tethered that thereby ye may dismay the
enemy of Allah and your enemy, and others beside them
whom ye know not, Allah knoweth them. Whatsoever ye
spend in the way of Allah it will be repaid to you in
full and ye will not be wronged." Sûrah 8-60

I Sal al Din/Vargas, humble servant of Allah the
merciful beseech thee followers of the faith to join
me with all the finery and pageantry of our culture
which is the envy of all the world to meet upon the
field of Pennsic (time and date tba) to show the
infidels and nonbelievers what your sword arm and
faith in the merciful Allah is made of.

Below are the current guide lines for the scenario, if
any are interested you may find more information here:
www.legiodraconis.com/modules.php

THE GUIDELINES:

Only weapons documentable to the 1st - 3rd crusades
are acceptable: broadsword, hand axe, mace, 2 handed
axes, spears, javelins, kite, heater or round shields,
combat archery, and seige weapons. Mackejewski bible
weapons are being allowed, that is Falx (also called
Warbrand), medieval chopper, and warclub. The Mac
bible does show a glaive but we think it is an after
the fact weapon. No polearms, greatswords, bastard
swords or two weapon styles.

We ask a reasonable attempt at the look of the period.

Ransoming will be allowed.

We are asking that those participating research how
their side fought and attempt to use tactics of the
period if possible. Please note, we are asking for
support people (water-bearers, heralds, etc.) to join
in the period attempt of either Crusader or Saracen.
You do not have to be a fighter to participate in this
(for instance, the Saracen side would love to find an
Imam and/or musicians to encourage us on the field).

The current plan is to have two battles, 1 hour time
limit on each battle. Field to the last man. Castle
siege- capture the banner? Capture Sala al Din?

This is promising to be quite the show. Come and help
make history and be part of the tales that will be
told for years to come. Please cross-post this to
anyone or any list you think might be interested -
this is open to all Kingdoms.

In service
Vargas aka Sal a din"

    Shawn MacIntyre