[SCA-BMDL] OT: Astronomy question

Hayeslip, Roxann Roxann.Hayeslip at Robot-rx.com
Tue May 15 10:04:50 EDT 2007

Greetings --

Yes, indeed it is possible to identify years by identifying the stars in
the sky, and there relative positions, and this has been done for
Chinese scrolls and other historical documents. Comets are particularly
useful.

I would not positively identify something that did not show a nebula
without identifying the constellations that did show.

My husband is an amateur astronomer, and has programs that go both
forward and backwards in time to show the heavens from wherever you
happen to be.

Is there a particular problem you need help with? I can forward it on,
and if he can't help he can ask others.

(Commercial pitch:)

We are members of the Amateur Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh
(http://www.3ap.org/) which, among other activities, holds FREE public
star parties during which anyone who wants to can come to one of the
club's two observatories and observe the heavens with a knowledgeable
guide to lead you.

This weekend there will be a star party at Wagman Observatory in Deer
Lakes Park, where at least twenty club members will have their scopes
set up and aimed at different objects in the sky -- so you can take a
tour of the universe just by walking up and down! All are welcome! For
more info and directions to the event, just hop to the club's website.

Thank you for your attention, and we return you now to your regularly
scheduled email......

(End commercial pitch:)

Rocky Hayeslip