[SCA-BMDL] Purim Annoucment/Press - A Note from Byron and Ariella

Pam Bolkovac pmb_pa at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 23:37:41 EST 2007

Cara and I have had the chance to talk this over, and
here are our thoughts:

In summary, 1) the newspaper acted in good faith; 2)
the BMDL web site was not the source of the
information, and it already contains links to
appropriate resources for non-SCAdians;  3) the
Autocrat and others working on the event were not
aware of the newspaper listing in advance.

It is indeed a good thing for the SCA when the press
pays attention to us for the interesting and fun
things we do.  The core issue in this particular case
seems to be that personal information (names,
addresses, emails, telephone numbers) was included in
the event listing without explicit permission.

The other issue is that there are differences between
public places  (fire hall, schools, churches) and
private residences.  We're still learning exactly what
those differences are, so please bear with while we
sort outwhat is comfortable for us.

We agree with Alessandra that the Media Liaison is a
good resource for these gray areas, and with Edmundo
and Filip that SCA events are open to everyone,but
that people will enjoy them more with preparation and
guidance.

--Byron and Ariella
mka Char and Cara