[PDL-readingGroup] Invitation: PDL Reading Group Sessions - Fall Semester

Ziyue Qiu ziyueqiu at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 2 00:16:23 EDT 2023

Hello everyone,

Firstly, if you're already informed, please bear with this reminder. We're
excited to invite you to the PDL reading group sessions for the upcoming
Fall semester!

As we enter a new Fall semester, we have decided to carry forward the last
Spring and Summer traditions. As before, one of our group members will lead
our weekly meetings, and there will be dinner for everyone. The dinner
orders will be collected a day prior via a spreadsheet. *Our meeting will
be at CIC 2101 every Monday from 6 to 7 p.m*.

Our selection process for reading materials saw a *refreshing change*
during the Summer and proved successful. Here are the key criteria for our
paper selections:

Here are the criteria we will be using to select papers:
1) It has made a significant impact or has high importance (has won awards,
has dispelled myths, and so forth).
2) It contributes to our understanding of a particular concept, principle,
class of hardware, or relevant applications.
* We have provided examples
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TAFysTMR0OKRiD1vH0IrIYMor5vQvbuBdpAwD53zfgw/edit#gid=1326371420>
under
the tab 'paper list - filterable' for your review and previous selections
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TAFysTMR0OKRiD1vH0IrIYMor5vQvbuBdpAwD53zfgw/edit#gid=1137880309>
under the tab 'presenter'.

About our second point, we are introducing a new option to broaden our
perspectives. Instead of discussing one paper for the entire hour (of
course you can), we are also willing to see a one-hour *review of a
specific conference section (3-5 papers)*. Each paper would get 10-20
minutes of discussion time. For instance, there are relevant sessions in
FAST 23 <https://www.usenix.org/conference/fast23/technical-sessions> that
include topics like Coding and Cloud Storage, Key-Value Stores, File
Systems, Persistent Memory Systems, IO Stacks, etc.

In conclusion, we can't wait to start and are excited to see you **** SIGNUP
HERE
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TAFysTMR0OKRiD1vH0IrIYMor5vQvbuBdpAwD53zfgw/edit#gid=1137880309>
present in our sessions (3 slots left).

We're eager to commence this Fall with insightful discussions and new
learnings. See you there!

Best,
Ziyue, Juncheng, Ankush