CZI format

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Oct 15 17:46:04 EDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 11:05:37AM +0200, PD Dr. M. Weihrauch wrote:
> Is it planned to integrate it into OpenSlide or is there a problem due
> to GPL (Zeiss) and LGPL (OpenSlide)? If so, I could talk to Zeiss, I
> have good contacts there.

Hi Martin,

See <https://github.com/openslide/openslide/issues/214>.  It would be
possible to use libCZI from OpenSlide, but the combination would be under
the GPLv3.  That has implications particularly for closed-source programs
distributed to third parties (such as desktop viewer apps, but not hosted
web services) that wanted to support CZI via OpenSlide.  There are several
possible approaches OpenSlide can take here, and I'd be interested in
feedback from the community on the tradeoffs described in the bug.