Wanted: New maintainer for binary packages in Debian

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 22 16:55:19 EST 2016

Hi all,

The Debian Med team, which is responsible for the binary packages of
OpenSlide and OpenSlide Python in Debian, is looking for help keeping those
packages up to date.  This is a great, low-time-commitment way to help
OpenSlide users on Debian and Ubuntu.  Quoting Andreas Tille from Debian
Med:

> For sure any help of a person somehow connected to OpenSlide is welcome
> since I expect way more sensible testing than I could provide.  I do not
> mind whether this person is from developers or users side.  The knowledge
> requirements are some Git/SVN skills, knowing a bit about make and
> patches.

Debian Med has a mentorship process [1] to help you get started.  Package
maintainers are typically responsible for:

- Updating the package when a new release comes out (infrequent in
  OpenSlide's case)
- Updating the package to comply with changes in the Debian packaging policy
  (also pretty infrequent, in my experience)
- Addressing any bugs in the packaging itself

If you're interested, reply here or in the bug report [2], which is at
<bug number>@bugs.debian.org.

I'd like to extend my gratitude to Mathieu Malaterre, who created the Debian
packages for both OpenSlide and OpenSlide Python and has maintained them for
the past four and a half years.  Thanks, Mathieu!

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM
[2]: https://bugs.debian.org/814222