Request some help on getting started with OpenSlide

jcupitt at gmail.com jcupitt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 10:14:17 EST 2016

On 18 February 2016 at 10:38, Evert Trollip via openslide-users
<openslide-users at lists.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>> configure: error: Package requirements (libxml-2.0) were not met:
>> No package 'libxml-2.0' found
>
> I went on to try and install the package and found that it was "libxml2" and
> not "libxml-2.0". After installing, the ./configure gives the same errors. I
> am thus unable to run make and make install.

You need to install the -dev version of the package. Most packages
come in two or three parts, for example libxml2 has a whole range of
associated packages:

libxml2 ... this has the core library, you need this to run programs
that use libxml2
libxml2-dev ... this has the header files you need to compile programs
that need to link against libxml2
libxml2-dbg ... this has the debugging symbols if you want to trace into libxml2

You've installed the bare library, to compile stuff that links to it,
you need the headers as well.

I wrote a tiny gtk+3 program to display openslide images using the
libvips wrapper:

   https://github.com/jcupitt/vipsdisp-tiny

It can display most image files, it should be fast and flicker-free,
and the whole thing is only 300 lines of code.

That's a minimal example, this is a more complete image viewer:

   https://github.com/jcupitt/vipsdisp

Of course you'd need to teach yourself gtk+3 and vips as well :-(
which might be a lot of work.

John