AW: Re: Questions about tile-serving

Dr. M. Weihrauch martin.weihrauch at uni-koeln.de
Wed Sep 2 16:42:35 EDT 2015

Great, thx
If the openslide zoomlevel is eg only 2px bigger than the openslide level, where do you set the cut off not to take the bigger openslide zoom level?

Von meinem Samsung Galaxy Smartphone gesendet.-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: Benjamin Gilbert <bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu> Datum: 02.09.2015  19:52  (GMT+01:00) An: openslide-users at lists.andrew.cmu.edu Betreff: Re: Questions about tile-serving
Hi Martin,

On 09/02/2015 08:06 AM, Priv.-Doz. Dr. M. Weihrauch wrote:
> - If I am not mistaken, I would now have a look in OpenSlide, if that
> specific zoom level according to the dimensions exists in the original
> image, i. e. one of the levels of the original image has also
> approximately 16,321 pixels in width.

It's best to match OpenSlide levels with Deep Zoom levels using
downsample values rather than level dimensions.  The OpenSlide level
downsample isn't necessarily exactly the ratio of the level size to the
size of level 0, if OpenSlide knows that the level sizes are subject to
rounding or other errors.

> If yes, I extract my e. g. 256x256
> directly. If not, then I take the next bigger zoom level, extract
> 512x512 and resize to 256x256?

Take the next larger zoom level, extract a tile 256 * (downsample of
Deep Zoom level / downsample of OpenSlide level) on a side, resize to
256x256.

> - Are the zoom levels for most openslide images dividing by 2 and 4 for
> the next zoom level or are there some other exotic formats?

Most formats do have zoom levels at powers of 2 or 4, but arbitrary
downsamples are supported and will sometimes occur.

> 2. If the deepzoom overlap is 1, does that mean that I have to add 1
> pixel on the right and on the bottom border of the tile or 1 pixel to
> each side (given that this is not a tile from the image border)?

One pixel on each side, except at the image borders.