A portable OpenSlide viewer for Windows: Smart Zoom Viewer

jcupitt at gmail.com jcupitt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 04:22:59 EST 2015

On 17 November 2015 at 08:10, Mathieu Malaterre via openslide-users
<openslide-users at lists.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> Thanks Benjamin for this en-lighting summary !
>
> This reminded me of https://xkcd.com/927/

Ah that's very true.

I suppose I'd argue that new standards don't always just add
confusion, sometimes they represent progress. If you can make
something which is substantially better than what's there now, you
should do it!

Serving a deepzoom client from a pyramidal tiff on a server is very
slow and is rather difficult to implement. Serving a deepzoom client
from a huge directory tree is hard to manage on Windows and is rather
inefficient with storage.

szi is the best of both worlds: simple to administer, fast to serve.
And since it's just deepzoom in a zip container, it's barely a new
standard.

John