How to open a Ventana bif file as a end user?

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Apr 8 01:47:58 EDT 2015

On 04/07/2015 12:33 PM, Nguyễn Đăng Khoa wrote:
> I recently received some Ventana bif file. When I'm searching in
> Google, I OpenSlide is the only free/open source project I can find.
> But as a end-user, I don't know how can I open a bif file easily? Is
> there any GUI program can help me achive this?

If you don't need to zoom, nip2 works pretty well.  If you need zooming,
there aren't any great options, but there are some workable ones.  The
examples/deepzoom directory of OpenSlide Python includes some small web
apps that provide a web-based viewer similar to the OpenSlide demo site.
  You can also launch the JAR file from OpenSlide Java to get a simple
viewer application that mostly works.

Note that OpenSlide's support for Ventana BIF is incomplete.  In
particular, tile positioning is approximate, so you will see seams.