Custom vendor format

Blattner, Timothy J. timothy.blattner at nist.gov
Mon May 12 16:05:42 EDT 2014

Hello,

I am working on a project at NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) that deals with image stitching. The images are acquired using a microscope stage that takes overlapping images. One of the results of the stitching yields an 80k x 80k pixels image. I am looking into visualization software for these very large images and stumbled across open slide.

I should not have a problem with outputting the final image into a format that is supported by OpenSlide, but the idea came to me that it might be exciting to provide a position list to OpenSlide instead.

So I was wondering if it would be possible for me to add support into OpenSlide to visualize images that are constructed using a CSV file that contain 'path_to_file, x_pixel_position, y_pixel_position'. Now the tricky part with this technique is we would need to do blending on the overlapping regions, so either linear, average, or overlay; however, I think that it will not be expensive to do blending on the fly.

I have peaked around the source code and looked at various image format vendors, and wanted to get some input on where to start with this project and what would be the best way to hook it into OpenSlide.

Regards,
Tim

------

Timothy Blattner