MRXS huge white borders

Tom N. ca95129 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 28 16:21:58 EDT 2014

I am using "vips dzsave" pyramid builder to convert an MRXS slide to
Zoomify on Ubuntu. Vips uses OpenSlide to read the MRXS slide.  The
conversion is working fine, but the resulting Zoomify slide has huge
white borders. For comparison, I also run a converter on Windows which
is based on the native library supplied by the vendor. The resulting
Zoomify slide from the Windows based converter doesn't have the white
borders, and has therefore half the number of tiles.

Here is the ImageProperties.xml produced by the native Windows converter:

<IMAGE_PROPERTIES WIDTH="44544" HEIGHT="61952" NUMTILES="56242"
NUMIMAGES="1" VERSION="1.8" TILESIZE="256" />

Here is the one produced by vips dzsave based on OpenSlide on Ubuntu:

<IMAGE_PROPERTIES WIDTH="62084" HEIGHT="141394" NUMTILES="179578"
NUMIMAGES="1" VERSION="1.8" TILESIZE="256" />

Does anyone experience the same? Could this be a problem of OpenSlide or
of VIPS pyramid builder?

Thank you for any input.
Tom