Using Multiple images (and threads)

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jul 17 22:52:50 EDT 2014

On 07/17/2014 05:31 AM, jcupitt at gmail.com wrote:
> You could also consider using a higher-level image library. I maintain vips:
>
> http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS
>
> It can load and save images via openslide and will handle all the
> threading and memory issues for you. You could (probably) write your
> program in ruby or python.

The excessive memory use is likely caused by the tile cache in each
openslide_t, since Derek has many slides open at once.  Does VIPS
dynamically close and reopen format readers to limit the number of open
files?  If not, VIPS probably won't help here.  If Derek needs to read
from multiple slide levels, it could even make the problem worse, since
he'd need one VIPS handle (thus one OpenSlide handle) per level instead
of per slide.