DICOM supplement 145 inquiry

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 05:00:44 EDT 2013

[Highly off topic to openslide]

David,

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM, David Gutman <dagutman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mathieu-- agreed.  My experience in the DICOM world with radiology images is
> that converting from some format to DICOM is extremely extremely challenging
> as you point out, which is likely even worse for the whole slide images.
> Although as Yves points out, it's somewhat of a chicken and egg issue if
> there are no files already available for someone to try and develop a
> library against, nor any vendor that can generate files in the proper
> format.

I think both Yves and I requested such samples on wg26. So far we had
no news from any vendors.
There is at least a validator for those: see dciodvfy if you want to
get started.

> While it sounds like it would be extremely resource intensive to get a
> legacy format-->DICOM sup145 converter developed, but would be extremely
> interesting.
>
> Is the expectation that the vendors themselves would be developing the
> libraries / functionality so images can be saved directly as a DICOM WSI
> image?  And are any vendors working on that?

Correct. As per Yves original post, looks like Siemens did it. As per
my email Hamamatsu is working toward this goal. From the top of my
head two others vendors where mentionned on wg26 mailing list, cant
remember the name.

> Having spent several years dealing with various oddities of vendor specific
> formats, it would be interesting to know what the timeline (if any) of that
> functionality being developed.

What timeline of what product ? My understanding is that one vendor
should make a first step, then it will 'faire tâche d'huile' on
others.

On the other hand JPEG is very well used over the internet thanks to a
very well known open source implementation... back to the chicken and
egg problem :)

--
Mathieu