possible to build without glib dependency?

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 22 19:39:47 EST 2013

On 01/22/2013 05:54 PM, Pan, Tony wrote:
> We are trying to build openslide on a national lab supercomputer running
> specialized version of linux.   Looking at the list of dependent
> libraries, I am concerned about glib, especially given the trouble we’ve
> had building from source OpenSlide and glib on our in-house test cluster
> running centOS (as practice to building on the supercomputer).  The
> other dependencies have been straight forward to deal with.
>
> What is glib used for in openslide?  Is there a way to avoid the glib
> dependency?

glib provides a lot of core functionality in OpenSlide: memory
allocation, data structures, threading, OS abstraction.  It's not easily
avoided.

If you're creating a script to build OpenSlide and its dependencies for
your machine, our cross-build script for Windows may be a good starting
point:

     https://github.com/openslide/openslide-winbuild