NDPI format support in OpenSlide - are there any forecasts?

Daniel Alievsky daniel at smartimtech.com
Sun Oct 7 09:07:07 EDT 2012

Hello,

our company is using OpenSlide for reading extra-large images in our
Simagis Live system (http://live.simagis.com/) - web-based Java
application for storing and processing very large images.
OpenSlide is a good system, allowing to read most popular formats, but
right now we urgently need an ability to read .ndpi files (Hamamatsu
format), and the last OpenSlide version failed to read them:
http://openslide.cs.cmu.edu/download/openslide-testdata/Hamamatsu/
(I used the last Windows binaries from http://openslide.org/download/.
An attempt to access these 3 .ndpi-files shows a set of error messages
boxes and fails.)

It seems to be strange, because OpenSlide successfully reads another
Hamamatsu VMS-format, not packed into a single file:
http://openslide.cs.cmu.edu/download/openslide-testdata/Hamamatsu-vms/
Unfortunately, I didn't find any ready C++ or Java library, allowing to
read .ndpi-files, containing images larger than 65530x65530, and it is a
problem - right now we need to read .ndpi-files of our customers with
very large pictures.

Could you tell us, are you planning to add the support of .ndpi-files
into new OpenSlide versions in the nearest future? Are there any time
forecasts here?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Daniel Alievsky