NDPI format and NDPITools

Benjamin Gilbert (OpenSlide) bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 2 03:30:26 EDT 2012

On Tue, October 2, 2012 2:43 am, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Benjamin Gilbert <bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu>
> wrote:
>> the policies of various Linux distributions
>> (notably
>> Fedora) prevent us from shipping modified versions of third-party
>> libraries inside our own codebase.
> Speaking from debian point of view, this statement is incorrect.
> The debian policy /enforces/ use of system libs, but you could have
> good reason to maintain a derived copy (I do in the case of IJG, the
> libjpeg for most linux distro).

Hi Mathieu,

I wasn't being precise.  It's not strictly true for Fedora either: the
Fedora Packaging Committee can approve exceptions for forked libraries on
a case-by-case basis.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries#Exceptions

I think it's fair to say that the various distros *discourage* bundling
modified library code and have good reasons for doing so.  I'm not willing
to make extra work for our packagers, for the distro security teams, and
for ourselves (in tracking the upstream libraries) where reasonable
alternatives exist.