MRXS 2.2 progress

Agelos Pappas agelos at smartcode.gr
Fri Nov 2 11:25:08 EDT 2012

Hi list,

I'd like to share with you what I've found so far, in case someone can
contribute with fresh ideas.

I've focused entirely on the *StitchingIntensityLayer* section and tried
to figure out it's contents. The section is a DEFLATE stream, compressed
with zlib. This explains it's high entropy and the fact that changing
even a single bit of it, resulted in the application refusing to
interpret it.

I decompressed the StitchingIntensityLayer section of every file in my
possession and found out that it always decompresses to a stream of
174231 bytes, regardless of the file's size, dimensions or resolution. I
have in 4 different MRXS 2.2 files and all of them contain a
StitchingIntensityLayer section that, when decompressed, occupies 174231
bytes.

174231 is a multiple of 9 and I quickly thought of the 9-byte record
pattern of *VIMSLIDE_POSITION_BUFFER.default* nonhierarchical section.
This produces at most 19,359 records (174231 / 9) which I believe is
unlikely to be similar to VIMSLIDE_POSITION_BUFFER.

Nevertheless I parsed the decompressed streams, interpreting them as
9-byte records with the following structure:
1byte - 4byte signed int - 4byte signed int
and dumped them as text. There is one interesting thing about this,
which may be evidence that these are indeed 9-byte records: The single
byte in every record appears to only have 0 or 1 as a value.
Furthermore, whenever it equals 0, the two integers are always zero two.
Whenever it is 1, the integers have values in them. Moreover, the
integers never contain negative values, even though I read them as
signed integers.

I'm attaching the decompressed binary StitchingIntensityLayer section of
the first of the three files available in openslide's web site, as well
as the 9-byte record interpretation of it.

Any ideas on what these values mean or however else I should try to
interpret the section are welcome!

Regards
Pappas Agelos