Zeiss ZVI file format support development for OpenSlide

Alexandre Kharlamov kharlamovalexandre at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 21:48:21 EDT 2012

On 07/20/12 00:35, Benjamin Gilbert wrote:

>> I'm sorry, who can prohibit you from including a .c and a .h file in
>> your src folder, compile it to a .o and link to it statically??
> We would no longer be permitted to distribute OpenSlide in Fedora or
> RHEL unless the packaging scripts disabled the bundled library. That
> policy is enforced by the Fedora Packaging Committee, which seldom
> grants exceptions.  Debian policy imposes a similar requirement (not as
> consistently enforced?) which is inherited by the Ubuntu packages.
I guess I can still rename functions and files. I mean, there should be
a limit
to imposed complexity. I myself am having trouble compiling gdk-pixbuf in
Windows mingw32, and Agelo works with 64-bit Windows binaries, he has
to be a real magician to produce such things...
>>> I propose gdk-pixbuf.  It's in the Gtk suite of libraries that we
>>> already use, and it adds no new transitive dependencies.  It also
>>> appears to support RLE.
>> I could not find list of file formats supported by it anywhere in the
>> internet.
> Here is the source:
>
>      http://git.gnome.org/browse/gdk-pixbuf/tree/gdk-pixbuf/io-bmp.c
All right, then. But give me some days to figure out how to compile that
library in Windows...
>> "Discussing what I need from the Openslide
>> external and internal API's" isn't really my strong side. I'd rather work on
>> my little bit of code, get it done and move on.
> Unfortunately, that's not how community development works.  Fluorescence
> support will require architectural changes to OpenSlide, and you need to
> be willing to work with the community to ensure that those changes meet
> both your needs and ours.
I don't mind working with the community, it's just this whole week I have
had nothing to do, so, I'll probably have to find another job until the
interface is consolidated and library choice is decided upon, since it seems
that my ideas of getting it done quickly and then improving if needed don't
fit your perfectionist opensource philosophy. Oh well, we are all different.