Extracting layer 0 from svs file using vips and openslide

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Jul 18 00:19:55 EDT 2012

On 07/09/2012 02:18 PM, Siddharth Samsi wrote:
> vips openslideload cmu-2.svs cmu-2-new.tiff
> [...]
> I assumed that since both the packages being used are linked against
> the correct libtiff library, it should not have given up when the file
> exceeded 4GB. Am I missing something ? Is there an input argument to
> openslide load that isn't documented ?

tiffsave converts anything to TIFF; openslideload converts slide files
to anything.  For your purposes they're interchangeable but with
different syntax.  This:

> vips tiffsave example.svs example-vips.tif --pyramid --tile  \
>   --tile-width=256 --tile-height=256 --bigtiff

is equivalent to this:

vips openslideload example.svs \
   example-vips.tif[pyramid,tile,tile-width=256,tile-height=256,bigtiff]

And there's the problem: you need to pass the "bigtiff" option to the
TIFF writer to get a BigTIFF.