Zeiss ZVI file format support development for OpenSlide

Yves Sucaet sucaet at histogenex.com
Mon Jul 9 03:44:20 EDT 2012

Hello,

I've pointed Alexandre to sample ZVI data, but if any of you have
additional files, feel free to share with him of course. I'm working with
Benjamin on creating a 'feature-complete' set of test data for MRXS, Leica
SCN, and ZVI files that can be shared with all of you.

Furthermore, I can only confirm what Alexandre is writing here, but I'd
still like to take the opportunity to stress the importance of the
multiple planes issue:

The AxioVision ZVI files are particularly suited for fluorescence
microscopy; whereby you can have multiple channels (for each
fluorochrome). Our Zeiss microscope camera can only obtain images in
black/white, but by doing this at different wavelengths, you can store
different channels in a single ZVI file and overlay them. Then the focal
plan kick in: on top of the different channels, you may record various
z-stacks in a ZVI file, and go through them to see at which plane a
certain immuno is expressed. This is particularly useful to eliminate
false-positives, of course. Finally, it is possible to merge these files
into a single image, with additional X- and Y-bars to indicate at which
plane a particular component was expressed/excited. The merged files are
much smaller than the z-stack files, depending on how many planes you
chose to record. But even the merged files still contain multiple
channels.

My point is: I think working with multiple planes and channels is
essential once you get to fluorescence microscopy (and it may be in other
types as well). I'm not sure how many other file formats support this. ZVI
is the only one I know of at this point. IHC (Immunohistochemistry) and
FISH is becoming more and more important for molecular pathologists, so
OpenSlide could build in some provisions to support these features. I look
forward to some suggestions on how this could be implemented in a formal
way in OpenSlide. In the mean time, of course, Alexandre can still work on
'merged' ZVI files and figure out how the file format works.

Yves