trac tickets and alternative build system

Adam Goode agoode at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue May 4 14:20:19 EDT 2010

On 05/04/2010 02:07 PM, Hauke Heibel wrote:
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Adam Goode <agoode at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>> Nice! Looking good. I've looked a little at your changes. I fixed up the
>> casts in my tree, you should try merging or rebasing your stuff on top
>> of master.
>
> So you suggest to switch back to the master branch located at github,
> merge the integration branch and continue committing to the master
> branch? I was under the impression that merging back to master should
> be extra easy with git as long as my branch is regularly synched.

Hmm, I think I was just suggesting to pull from me again since I made
some changes. (The casts I did were slightly different from yours.) Let
me know if you have issues with weird conflicts.

>> I guess one question is how to implement the constructor the way gcc
>> does. I know it works on Windows with gcc, so I just need to figure out
>> how it does it.
>
> On MSVC I implemented the constructor as suggested on the
> stackoverflow link you provided. It is in this commit:
>
> http://github.com/hauke76/OpenSlide/commit/adaf80d291cb213f675b5fd14512b446b097b816

Ah, haven't looked that far, great.

>> Did you try building with msys/mingw? It should have much better
>> performance and compatibility over Cygwin.
>
> No, I did not. I don't want to manage too many development
> environments on my system. I am too lazy ;). Typically, I am targeting
> at MSVC development. I am just using Cygwin to verify my code changes
> with gcc 4.4.1 (or later) since usually MSVC is language wise way too
> permissive.

Ok, no problem! If you want, you can try -mno-cygwin as an option to gcc
to try to simulate mingw.

Adam