olive-list Digest, Vol 2, Issue 1

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 28 14:31:28 EDT 2013

On 08/28/2013 12:02 PM, Peter Chan wrote:
> 1. You mentioned  I can use "VMNetX client"
> ((https://olivearchive.org/docs/vmnetx/install/) for packaging and
> running VMs. My initial understanding of VMNetX is that it is just a
> client to run VMs hosted in a webserver. So, do you mean I can use
> VMNetX to create VMs?

VMNetX includes a tool, "vmnetx-generate", for creating VM packages.
See the vmnetx-generate(1) manual page for details.  The workflow is:
create a virtual machine in virt-manager, package it with
vmnetx-generate, and upload.

> 2. Will the VM packages prepared using VMNetX run under other software
> other than VMNetX?

No; they are specially designed to support demand-paged execution.  But
the packages are created from virt-manager VMs, which of course will run
in virt-manager.

> 3. At this moment, VMNetX run under different versions of Linux. Any
> estimated release date for Mac/Windows based VMNetX?

We aren't planning to have a full version of VMNetX for Windows/Mac
because KVM doesn't run on those platforms.  We are working on a
workaround involving thin clients.  :-(  Institutions that want to
support Windows/Mac machines will be able to set up a Linux server
running, in essence, a headless version of VMNetX.  We will release a
Windows version of VMNetX that connects to such a server rather than
running VMs locally.  Of course, this won't be as good as local
execution.  But it still has the advantage that the Olive server can be
far away, and the execution server does not need to store any persistent
data.

--Benjamin Gilbert