olive-list Digest, Vol 2, Issue 1

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 27 20:16:11 EDT 2013

On 08/27/2013 07:46 PM, Peter Chan wrote:
> Can I export my VMs in Open Virtualization Format (OVF) and import them
> to the Server Olive is going to release?

We haven't yet put any effort into importing VMs from other systems.
For now, we assume that VMs are created specifically for Olive.
However, you may be able to (1) use existing tools like virt-convert to
create a libvirt VM from your OVF, (2) modify it to fit VMNetX's
requirements, and then (3) create a VMNetX package from it.

> By the way, is there an
> estimated release date for the Olive server?

Not yet.  However, the server only provides the user interface plus a
bit of storage management.  The code for packaging and running virtual
machines is already available
(https://olivearchive.org/docs/vmnetx/install/), and a VM package can be
hosted on any standard web server.  So you should already be able to
experiment with the system on your own hardware.

--Benjamin Gilbert