olive-list Digest, Vol 2, Issue 1

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 27 19:33:49 EDT 2013

Hi Peter,

On 08/27/2013 12:21 PM, Peter Chan wrote:
> I use XenCenter (in the Xenserver package) to access the VMs. So, no
> need to use XenClient.

OK.  You mentioned in your first email that you were using XenClient, so
I assumed you were executing VMs on client systems.

> Is "local demand-paged execution of VMs" needed
> mainly for VMs which require heavy CPU/GPU cycles? I use XenCenter to
> access Windows XP VMs and the responses time is acceptable.

It's intended as a scalability measure in general.  Within a university
campus, the response time of a thin client system will likely be
acceptable.  But we believe that an executable archive will eventually
serve users around the world, and thin clients quickly become unusable
when the client and server are far apart.

--Benjamin Gilbert