Cyrus IMAP 3.2.0 released

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Thu May 7 21:29:46 EDT 2020

Hi Marco,

On Thu, May 7, 2020, at 7:51 PM, Marco wrote:
> The Instance.pm of Cassandane looks for a log in
>
> {basedir}/conf/log/syslog
>
> but the Cyrus IMAP log to system MAIL syslog, in redhat by default is
> /var/log/maillog.

Did you run "make" in the cassandane directory, like the instructions at https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/developer/developer-testing.html say to?

If you haven't run make, there's probably also an error in syslog telling you to do so, like:
> utils/syslog.so not found (do you need to run 'make'?)
> tests will not examine syslog output

Cassandane LD_PRELOADs utils/syslog.so, which intercepts syslog() calls and duplicates the lines into [basedir]/conf/log/syslog. That way Cassandane can a) read them without needing to know where your system's syslog output resides, and b) associate each group of syslog lines to the test that produced them.

Thoooough... if it's failing on missing syslog errors, that means it found "utils/syslog.so" (otherwise it would be ignoring syslog problems), so you probably did already run "make". But if it still didn't find the syslog file, maybe that means the syslog intercept isn't working on your system. Off the top of my head, I have no particular insight as to why this would be.

Do you know whether Redhat does anything weird with, or needs any additional setup for, LD_PRELOAD?

> After patching this

If you patch Cassandane to look at your system's syslog file, then you lose the "b" behaviour above. So, tests run in parallel (with the -j option or maxworkers cassandane.ini option) will race against each other when they check syslog, and will fail randomly.

> 1) The Rename.rename_inbox fails for this syslog error:
>
> "syslog error: May 7 10:42:36 imap 08292501FB/imap[21159]: IOERROR:
> conversations_audit on store:
> /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/cyrus-imapd-3.2.0/cassandane/work/08292501FB/conf/user/c/cassandane.conversations
> B82adf4514b98522d 0 (8 1 0 0 () ((0 5 1 1 0)) () subject1 0 () 5)"

This test is known to fail at the moment. The test is correct (there is a subtle problem), and also fails on every previous version of Cyrus (the problem has existed for a long time, but has only recently had a test added to observe it), but there isn't a fix for it yet. This test doesn't fail against cyrus master, ironically because the mechanism Cassandane uses to trigger it no longer exists -- but as far as I know the problem still exists on master too.

You can just ignore it, or tell testrunner.pl not to run it by naming it as "!Rename.rename_inbox" or "~Rename.rename_inbox" on the command line. ('!' might interact with your shell history, so use "~" unless you know that it won't!)

I see Robert has already fixed the SearchFuzzy problems (thanks!). I didn't read the wall-of-errors in your earlier followup, since you had already followed up with the syslog detail. Do you have other tests that are failing still?

(If you have configured them to run, then also expect Cyrus::Caldav.netcaldavtalktests_fromical to fail, and Cyrus::Caldav.netcaldavtalktests_fromje to error. But these two tests won't run unless configured to, which they aren't by default. I believe they're are stale and need updating somehow, but I haven't looked further.)

Cheers,

ellie