sync_log_chain - is it always needed?

Olaf Frączyk olaf at navi.pl
Fri May 1 08:43:54 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-01 01:26, ellie timoney wrote:
> The rolling sync_client takes care of cleaning up each sync_log file as it finishes replicating it downstream.
>
> Now consider the case where your replica is an end point, not a link in a chain: it does not have a rolling sync_client forwarding replications on, so if it automatically logged incoming replications to the sync_log, the sync_log would simply grow forever and fill the disk.  You would need to set up a special job to delete it.... Better to simply not write it in the first place!
>
> Thus, the default is to sync_log_chain: off, and if you need the special-case chaining behaviour, you turn it on.

Just to clarify here - are not IMAP/POP/LMTP actions logged anyway -
using sync_log? Won't they grow forever, too?

What is a scenario where sync_log and sync_log_chain is used
independently? What is the purpose to have sync_log and sync_log_chain
as separate options - couldn't we just use sync_log?

Are both types of entries - from sync_log and sync_log_chain used only
by rolling replication? Or are they used by sync_client -A too?

Sorry for the silly questions, the replication is quite scantly documented.

Thank you for all the explanations so far, regards,

Olaf