Re: Cyrus IMAP 3.2.2 (Re: cyrus imap 2.5.5 build in Linux: problem with pcre)

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Tue Jun 30 20:19:26 EDT 2020

Hi Sergey,

Quoting out of order, because it's a bit easier to explain that way:

> And there is another problem that is not obvious. -lpcreposix is needed
> in perl/imap/Makefile.PL and in perl/sieve/managesieve/Makefile.PL I seems.

This bit sounds a lot like https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/2629

There's an experimental patch from me in that issue, which seems to have worked around the issue for Fedora package maintainers.  But I can't reproduce the problem on Debian, so I can't confirm myself that it fixes things correctly.  More feedback would be great.

> I returned to this question. 3.2.2 still does not find /usr/include/pcre/pcre.h
>
> $ pkg-config --cflags libpcre
> -I/usr/include/pcre
>
> Build is successful with CFLAGS="-I/usr/include/pcre" ./configure ...

Cyrus's configure script does not currently use pkg-config to locate libpcre.  Instead it uses bespoke detection built from AC_CHECK_HEADER, which I guess doesn't know to look in /usr/include/pcre.  There might be a generic way for a sysadmin to add this path to the paths that AC_CHECK_HEADER checks, but I don't know it offhand.  Otherwise, specifying it in CFLAGS like you have done seems like the right thing to do.

The issue linked above also touches on the possibility of changing the libpcre detection to use pkg-config instead of bespoke detection, in which case this wouldn't be necessary, but it has its own complications.

> Except perl/imap: CFLAGS is not used by Makefile.PL.

Aaand this sounds like its own whole separate bug!  I'm not sure offhand what the right way to pass this down will be, but it clearly needs doing.  New issue here: https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/3087

Cheers,

ellie