Newly arrived mail is marked as "read"

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Sun Jun 28 23:31:09 EDT 2020

Hi,

I'm not sure, but it kind of sounds like your mailbox's index version is too old?

Around 2.4, the storage of the mailbox owner's seen state was moved from the seen databases to the cyrus.index.  (i.e. nowadays the seen database only stores the seen state for _other_ users who have been given access to a mailbox -- which is often nobody).

If your mailbox indexes have not been updated yet, then they won't have a field to record the owner's seen state, which might result in the behaviour you're seeing?

To update your mailbox indexes to the latest version, you can use the "-V max" option with the reconstruct utility.  The upgrade documentation for 3.0 (https://www.cyrusimap.org/3.0/imap/download/upgrade.html#reconstruct-databases-and-cache) mentions that this may take a long time, so maybe you already saw this but haven't gotten to that stage yet.

You should definitely take note of the warning on that page though, and consider upgrading to at least 3.0.11 rather than 3.0.7.

Hope this is helpful!

Cheers,

ellie