What you do with old account

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Sun Jun 14 15:51:49 EDT 2020

Am 09.06.20 um 16:32 schrieb Adam Tauno Williams:
> On Tue, 2020-06-09 at 15:51 +0200, Albert Shih wrote:>
>> After switching to cyrus imap, I think about how to do that.
>> If I'm correct I cannot just copy the file somewhere else, because cyrus
>> database would keep the information about the existance of the mailbox, so
>> what will the «state of the art» way to remove a mail account and all the
>> mail.
>> And how what would be the «state of the art» way to put it back ?
> I create a calendar event [task] to delete the mailbox and otherwise
> just leave it. If the account itself is disabled it cannot be accessed.
>
> Putting things back-into a mailstore is too much of a pain with current
> storage prices.

We have about 90,000 accounts, and our current model is that we leave
expired accounts around for a year. The user can't login, and we don't
accept new mails, but it's still there in case the account is
re-activated. After one year the mailbox hierarchy is put into a .tgz
and written to tape. When that is done the account is permanently
deleted. If the user should come back, they get a completely new
account. I can't recall a single instance where the .tgz was ever
needed, but that's not my problem. After one more year the .tgz is
deleted from tape as well.
--
   .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.