imap clients say i have 4K messages but spool has 12894 files

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Jun 4 06:45:47 EDT 2020

On Wed, 2020-06-03 at 19:35 -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Trying running 'unexpunge -l' on the mailbox in question.

This avenue has already been explored earlier in this thread:

https://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/info-cyrus/2020-May/041258.html

To save the effort of re-reading the message:

# sudo -u cyrus bash -c "/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/unexpunge -l user.brian"
[nothing returned]

So this is looking more like a "bad accounting" problem than something
typically operational.

But how to reconcile it?

It seems to me that a process of comparing what's in the index to
what's on disk to account for the orphans is needed.  I just don't know
what that process is.  I probably just don't know the toolset well
enough to know which tools to apply and how.  mbexamine seems a
candidate but I'm not sure how to interpret it's output to this task.
Or maybe there other/better tools?

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
b.