imap clients say i have 4K messages but spool has 12894 files

Ian Willis ianw at checksum.net.au
Wed Jun 3 19:30:50 EDT 2020

Hi Brian,

The answer to your question is that yes, UID appears to correlate with
the message file name.
At a guess something appears significantly awry.

To resolve the immediate issue.
Have you tried create a separate mail user. Copy your existing message
over via imap to the new folder.
Delete and expunge the original mailbox and recreate, recopy.

In the longer term I would be tempted to move to a newer version of
cyrus or if you have the patience closely monitor the file-system to
debug how this is occurring.

Kind Regards
Ian