sync_log_chain - is it always needed?

Olaf Frączyk olaf at navi.pl
Wed Apr 29 10:29:04 EDT 2020

On 2020-04-29 03:39, ellie timoney wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, at 1:12 AM, Olaf Frączyk wrote:
>> I was wondering why do we need to use this option on middle servers in
>> replication chain?
> Hope this helps,

Yes it helped. Thank you. As the replication uses its own protocol even
over IMAP connection it makes sense.

However why the sync_log_chain could be not always active? As the server
catches all changes from LMTP, IMAP, POP anyway, why to use a special
option for the synchronization protocol? Why to treat replication
changes differently from LMTP/IMAP? If we want replication - we want to
catch all changes - regardless of the source, if we don't do replication
- we don't need to catch any changes.